The Directorate of Business Development and Incubation in its capacity as TTO is tasked with identifying research results that have the potential to be produced and utilized by stakeholders. The schemes used for the downstream process of research and innovation results are:
This technology transfer mechanism is carried out by forming a new company with an alternative scheme as follows:
- The company itself is owned by UGM and / or the UGM Business Activity Unit (UKU);
- Partially separating the business of companies that become UKU (spin-off) so that assets, liabilities and equity are managed independently as an independent and professional business; or
- A joint venture company with shared resources (assets, funding, innovation, and human resources) that is bound in a Joint Operation Agreement (KSO) with state-owned or private partners.
- Utilization of the License
Utilization of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) can be in the form of licensing for patents, trade secrets, trademarks, copyrights, and others. UGM and industrial partners collaborate on license utilization through tiered priorities as follows:
- Giving top priority to UKU UGM companies;
- Awarded to UGM startup companies that are currently interested in or have links in the fields of innovation and technology; or
- If no one is able or difficult to manage, it can be given to private companies.
- Startup Company (Startup)
If the results of research and innovation are considered potential in terms of products but do not have market readiness, then the product will be accelerated for a maximum of two years as a start-up company until it is decided that it has met the qualifications to be commercialized. Accelerated activities can be in the form of market testing, substance testing, pre-adoption testing, and others that are tailored to the product development needs and business of each startup company. Start-up companies can be formed by students, lecturers, and alumni who have innovation and technology, and have participated in the incubation and acceleration programs organized by incubators and accelerators owned by UGM.
Source: Ethical Management and Strengthening the Integrity of Research and Innovation Results of Gadjah Mada University in 2019